Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

You've Lost That Improv Lovin Feeling?

It happens to everybody at some point or another. For this reason or that reason, you find that you're not enjoying yourself at rehearsals or even shows anymore. You struggle and strain to still pull out a killer performance, but the work just doesn't feel like it used to. I've felt these feelings a couple different times for a couple different reasons and I want you to know that this doesn't have to be the end!
The MIB Agent-Alien Improv show was a rousing success!



Burnout

I have this one happen to me in a lot of areas of my life. I go through the opportunity buffet and I overload my plate even when I'm trying to be conservative. I find myself resenting the time I'm spending on improv rather than enjoying it like I should. It's especially tough because I really do want to be a part of everything that comes my way, but I'm slowly learning that I can't devote 100% energy to 100% of the stuff offered to me. The fact that I have so many opportunities to do the thing that I love is a blessing, but if I want to lead a full life I need to say no every now and again.

To that effect, I've decided to take at least one show off per month. That way I get to remember how great it is to have a Monday and a Saturday night to myself on occasion. Spoiler alert: It's borderline too much time to myself.


Loss of Self-Confidence

It's weird when this arises on its own after months of working with the same people. I began to worry that I just wasn't doing well enough to justify my presence in shows in festivals. I felt humdrum and average even when my teammates would rave about a choice I made or when I was able to close out a line game with the most ridiculous joke possible. It was all a charade and I'd be found out for the hack I was soon.

Well as it turns out that was just as silly of a thought as it seemed the first time it cropped up in my mind. Sure, I felt like I didn't know what I was doing but that's what improv is. Heck, in most areas in life people are making things up as they go. There's no shame in that if you are are making the best decisions that you know how to make at the time. Throw yourself into that improv fire and do some dumb stuff!

Getting Stuck In Your Head

Every improviser has this one happen. You learn a little theory and all you can think is "don't negate" "no transactions"  and "avoid this dumb teaching scene!" Well you know what? Forget all of that crap. It is minimally important. All that you need to do is listen and react.

Listen to your audience suggestion, do what that makes you feel. Listen to your partner, accept what they say and react accordingly. Build something, have fun, and trust that things will work out. 

That certainly doesn't mean that things will always work out, but some of our improv ships are gonna sink. A lot of our improv ships are gonna sink. You should at least enjoy yourself while everything's falling apart. Afterwards, figure out what went awry and try not to do that stuff anymore. Ta da! 

What're some times where your passion has been challenged and how did you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment