Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mid-January Resolutions!

I talked about last year, but that stuff's in the past. I've got some ambitious eyes and they are set on the future. Life and career related goals for 2015, comin down the pipeline!

Resolution for Every Year: More Pirate Shenanigans

Expand class-load at the Community School of the Arts

The problem with my teaching job has always been that it's been too part time. I've always had to supplement it with serving or some other minimum wage endeavor. I've gotten to the point where I'm immensely comfortable with the class I teach, so it's time to find myself a new challenge. Apart from looking to be challenged, I'd also just really like to spend more time teaching.

Create a regular improvised performance for families in Clarksville

This one is already in motion. From the moment I saw StoryTown I knew that it was something that I wanted to do. If my experience doing theatre for youth in Clarksville had taught me anything, it's that there was an audience for Saturday morning performances. I've already got some performers, an accompanist, and a space. Now all we have to do is get together and do the work; you know, the easy part.

Make, at minimum, 52 posts in this blog.

Really, I should hold myself to around 100 posts if I'm planning on sticking to two posts a week, but I'm feeling a little gun-shy about that number. I'm already behind this year, but I will be re-focusing and cranking out two posts a week at minimum rather than just being a bum and playing League of Legends.

Get my own place.

I am 25 years old and while it's understandable that I'm having a tough time getting on my feet, I really need to take some initiative and actually get on my feet. It's more than needing a space to be on my own (though having a Fortress of Solitude would be nice), it's about feeling like I have my life a little more together. It's about have an actual measuring stick for progress rather than just kind of hoping that I did better than last year.

Get $1000 safely in savings and keep it there.

I have a really tough time saving money for an extended period of time. For the longest time, I would deposit large sums of money into my savings account only to find that I actually needed 90% of it. This past year I even managed to save up about $2500 before I botched an attempt to switch jobs and then spent a lot of money on the holidays and improv festivals. I want to have $1000 sitting in a savings account that I'm not even considering touching by the end of the year. I've still got time to build savings for when I'm old and grey, but I really need to start now.

Read 20 new novels. Autobiographies and theory books don't count!

I have very much fallen off in the amount of fiction that I consume since I've been out of college. I look at the books that I own and I realize that they're textbooks, scripts from plays I've been in, and a handful of novels that I've read once. I've never read Stephen King. I've never read Neil Gaiman. I've never even read a full story by Mark Twain! It's time for me to get serious about reading again and start consumin the bejesus outta some media.

Study at a big-time improv school.

This is the big one for me this year. I've improvised professionally for two years and I've done it without taking a class specifically dedicated to improv. I have training as a stage actor and a small percentage of my acting classes in college were dedicated to improv, but experience has been the main teacher for me in improvisation. I perform, I get a handful of notes, I repeat the good stuff and eliminate the bad stuff. This year I want to study somewhere in Chicago. 

The iO Summer Intensive is my true heart's desire, but I can't afford the $1k+ price tag combined with the cost of living in Chicago for 5-6 weeks. The other option that I'm looking at is either a 3 day intensive or a week long immersion at Second City. That kind of money is a lot easier to come by and classes can be scheduled nearer the end of the year when I'll hopefully have some more money saved up.

--

Those are my goals, and I'm gonna hella accomplish them! What big stuff do you have planned for this year? Does it make my stuff look dumb in comparison? Prove it, ya big jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment