Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Life in Free Agency

Recently, I left a group that I had been a part of for about four years. Before leaving and even for a short time afterwards, I thought that I was back at square one. I worried that I wouldn't be allowed to make art on-stage with anyone for months, maybe even years. Fortunately, that fear was misplaced and I'm already doing shows that I find really hilarious and rewarding.

FACT: I've never once promised not to shill my own shows.


Even while I was a part of a larger team and was performing very regularly, I was very serious about building an improv community here in Nashville. As such, I said yes to stuff like auditioning to be a cast member for a new improv-focused comedy club (Third Coast Comedy Club), or being part of a show that drafted members from three of the biggest groups in town (the Cumberland Bridges Project). Those are opportunities that were offered to me because of A) the level of visibility I had in the community and B) the ability I developed from doing constant shows. There's a third thing that was more important to me having a relatively soft landing in free agency, though: I went to other people's shows.

As an actor, specifically as an improviser, I never expect anybody I know to come to my shows. I expect them to pretend like they're interested and maybe even say they're coming and then I expect to never see their faces in the audience. Just because I don't expect them, however, doesn't mean that I wouldn't love for them to actually show up. In this case, I have always figured it's best to follow the golden rule: Treat others how you'd like to be treated.

So I go to shows. I laugh loudly and often. I tell people how good their work was. When I went to the Love Circle Variety Show show in March I went all starry eyed from how much joy and... well, love was in the show. I already knew Jill and Heather (the show's producers) from working with them and watching them perform so I went up and told them how I nearly wept happy tears because their show was so wonderful. The next month, they invited me to perform with them and they've kept inviting me back since.

Making art is as much about other people's work as it is your own. Go out of your way to appreciate and support people who are doing what you do (or what you want to do). Every now and then it comes back to you in a big way. Don't do it for the reward or the security, though, do it for the love (circle).



[If you're in Nashville and want to come see the show I'm in on Saturday, get your tickets here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment