Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Friday, May 29, 2015

Being A Joy To Work With

I've been spending a lot of time at my day job lately and it's been making me think about what makes a co-worker a joy to work with and what makes others a chore to be around. What are the common traits of the people that light up my day as soon as I see them, and do I exemplify these traits?

I am guilty of showing up late from time to time, or venting my frustration with how the day is going, I can show up tired and hungry and I know that it affects my work, but I do my best to never allow these things to be excuses for not putting in my best effort. I spend most of my time at work finding ways to make the day easier and more pleasant for the people around me. It feels good to be around people who are happy, it makes me feel better to lend a hand when I can spare it.

In the same vein, the people who I enjoy working with are the ones who spend their time making the best of their day. We're at work, and even though sometimes they truly would rather be somewhere else, they're going to make this day worth their while. They're positive thinkers, they fix problems as they arise, and they're eager to help if they see someone struggling. They find ways to not only do the job that's required of them, but to do it with enthusiasm.

The thing is, those traits are useful everywhere and are an absolute requirement in a good improv troupe. When I find myself struggling through a day at work or a rehearsal at night, I know who I can turn to to help bail me out of my negative mindset. I know the people who will brighten my mood, and I strive to be that person for everybody else.

Get to work and find a way to enjoy it, because your joy can be infectious. Start an exuberant epidemic!

No comments:

Post a Comment