Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Class Can't Focus? Make A Change

My new class has finally started and boy is it a doozie. I have nine young students, five of them liked my class so much the last time they took it that they signed up this time. I feel like that means I must be doing something right.

The difficult part is that because the class is so comfortable with me, they feel like it's okay to break focus over and over again. Some of them just honestly can't help it, heck I don't blame any of them when they lose interest in whatever we're teaching. If they're not paying attention, then I need to make a change, not them. 

I've been doing the class improv style for the last few semesters and I have had varying results with it. It's just tougher to create something with these young people without some kind of skeletal structure to fall back on. I think I will need to start building the class around a pre-existing story like I used to do.

My other huge deficiency is that I don't include any crafts in my class really, because the logistics of building a paper mask or designing a background for my class to color are a little daunting. I have to be able to help at every step and I only have my younger sister who serves as my assistant to help me with that.

I think the structure will help me with specifying what kind of crafts we should do. The second part is that I just need to suck it up and figure it out.

Gonna teach the heck outta these kids. They are gonna have too much fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment