Search This Blog

ABP - Always Be Postin

Updates on Sundays!

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Where I Say Nice Stuff About Improv Friends

Love and Improv are similar in at least one way: they both can seem impossible until you find the right people. I've found the right people.
The Nashville Improv Company with Tara DeFrancisco and Michael Tatar!



As I've mentioned, before I worked with the Nashville Improv Company I didn't believe improv was for me. I liked having to think on my feet and loved the opportunity to perform, but I just did not get along with very many improvisers. From the very first scene initiation with the NIC, however, I've felt nothing but support. It's been a weird feeling.

I did a scene with a friend of mine a few  nights ago and we got some riotous laughter from the audience. We got our give, the scene began, and I watched her proceed to be absolutely incredible. The scene was easy mode for me, I just existed in her vicinity and it felt like she did all the work. The crazy part is, she told me later that she felt like I was doing most of the work!

Her saying that definitely blew my mind. I get caught up in the slog of rehearsing and perfecting how to build scenes so often that I forget that masterful scenework tends to be easy and look like a magic trick. My friends in the NIC make it possible for lightning to strike and have great scenes just flow out of us.

I know that I started by comparing improv and love, so I guess I'll bring us back around by saying this: It's not always easy and sometimes it's downright frustrating, but there's nobody else I'd rather be improvising with. Thanks, guys.

---

Check out my post about How I Stumbled Into Improv and Learning to Trust.

---



My cat wanted to chime in with her opinion of this post. She says:

./tgggggyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiii99999999999999999999999998ollllllppp00000000000000000000000009999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Beautifully put, Chloe. Beautifully put.

No comments:

Post a Comment